Friday, September 11, 2009

Way to go, California! NOT

I was shocked to hear that one district in California closed all of its school libraries. I read about it in this article: http://www.takepart.com/blog/2009/09/03/california-school-district-closes-28-libraries/

Rozzi says, "I just don’t get it, how do you have a school without a library?" My thoughts exactly! I just had a first year teacher come check out 50 books to build her classroom library until she can build her own. While the school library doesn't exist just to stock teacher libraries, I am so glad she had this opportunity to get books into her students hands.

We are supposed to be educating young Americans to be world leaders... how can this happen without books, literacy, and research resources?

~Square Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment